I finally managed to get my CMALT (recognition and accreditation for individuals working in the filed of e-learning) application in to what I hope will be an acceptable standard. Rather than submit a word document and supporting appendices, I chose the e-portfolio route. Initially tried to use the CMALT preferred e-portfolio tool Petal – about which I now have very little good to say. Why o why are Jisc funding projects such as this? There are a host of OSS and proprietary options out there have have far more advanced functionality and better usability and have been so for a long time.
Thankfully I understand that CMALT are moving platforms, let’s hope they chose something more intuitive to use. In the meantime, I recommend anyone thinking of following this route to consider carefully unless they have experience of Petal and understand its limitations.
Anyway my effort is here www.stephenp.net/cmalt on WordPress. Like all real world work, much of what I have included was achieved collaboratively and many of my ex-colleagues applications could look very similar. Come to think of it, why don’t CMALT encourage joint applications – that would be very web2.O / connectivism, etc.:^)
Lastly, obvious as it may be I couldn’t of done much of what I claim without the student researchers of Ultraversity. In fact, with a little thought many of them could meet the CMALT criteria and if they have a good reason to do so should apply!
Whether or not it was worth the effort I just don’t know, but I made a start whilst still at ARU and as I committed to it felt I should complete.